Monday, October 12, 2009

The Wonderful World of Subcontracting

Subcontracting is when a business hires another business or individual to do work that can't be done by said business.

In this case, it's when a DJ has hired a videographer or editor, such as myself, to do work that they can't do themselves. It's all a part of the All in One entry that I discussed earlier.

There are some DJ companies in which subcontracting has been beneficial, both for their business and for my business. I get work from those companies through referrals and I appreciate their business.

However, there are other DJ companies (for their sake, let's call them Credit Takers) that have taken the meaning of subcontracting work and have demolished it. The idea of subcontracting is to work together.

I'd like to make the analogy of when Coke or Pepsi sell their business to stadiums and restaurants. They sell their product wholesale and make agreements to sell and advertise their product in these places. There's no such thing as Yankee Stadium Soda because they agree to exchange services for money.

I've sold my product to Credit Takers and somewhere along the line, they made it solely about their business to the point where they have taken credit for my work. 

Even worse, Credit Takers have found a way to take work that I've done and make it "passable" to prospective clients by plagiarizing and mimicking edited works that I've created. 

If this is the kind of attitude that Credit Takers have with the services I've given them, then imagine how Credit Takers will treat you as a client. 

I pride myself and my business on giving you a fair deal on the services you've paid for. I don't nickel-and-dime you and I will make sure you get your money's worth from my services, which is something every self-respecting company should want to strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment